The first ever online ad was published to the web on October 27, 1994. That is when people came to know about online advertisements. Since then, digital advertising has evolved and has turned into what see before YouTube videos. Display advertisement has a special place in the marketing landscape and is expected to grow from $83 billion to $129 billion in 2021.
What is Display Advertising?
Banner advertisements are known as display advertising. Banner ads, containing text and graphics that appear on designated areas on a website are display advertisements.
How does it work?
Display advertisements encourage the website visitors to click so that they can land on a page and take action (purchase, inquire). All the display advertising campaigns are charged on a Cost-per-click basis. You will have to pay an amount (based on bidding value) every time a user on the internet click on your advertisement.
Why is display advertising important?
Display advertising is an effective acquisition to target the audience that’s most interested in buying products or services from you. Digital advertisement filters out irrelevant audiences and shows banners to interested parties. In short, it helps you invest your money and time on interested buyers.
What are display advertising metrics?
Here are the most important metrics to measure for display advertising:
- Advertisement frequency
- CPA (Cost per action)
- CTR (Click-through rate)
- Customer engagement
- Click and impressions
- Content reach
- Video views
- CPV (Cost per view)
- Earned click-throughs
- Quality score
- Year-over-year comparisons
- Bounce rate
- Site visit rate
- Return on investment spent (ROAS)
- Conversion rate via channel
- Lifetime value
- CPA (cost per acquisition)
- Cost-per-conversion (CPC)
- Overall conversions
- Cost-per-click (CPC)
- CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions)
- Number of clicks
- Page value
- Overall impressions
- Overall website traffic
What are the different types of Digital Advertising?
44% of people clicked on the first display advertisement right after they saw it. Since then, it has evolved greatly. Let’s find out different types of digital advertising:
- Traditional display Advertisement
Consisting of the square, skyscraper, and landscape-sized images, these advertisements are primarily placed on websites.
- Responsive display advertisement
Responsive advertising is based on images, descriptions, and multiple text headlines
- Retargeting display advertisements
Retargeting advertisements are only shown to people who have visited your website in the past.
- Native advertisement
They are the same as the content of the website.
- Social advertisement
Display ads that you see on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are known as social display advertisements.
- Discovery Advertisement
They appear on Google results, YouTube, and even Gmail to show image assets most appropriately.
What are the benefits of Display Advertising?
- Display advertisements are visually appealing
- They help the audience to know your brand better
- They allow retargeting opportunities
- Display advertising allows you to track your performance and customer ad engagement
- Display advertising is cheaper than traditional advertising
Top Display Advertising challenges
- Keeping up with programmatic and automatic placements in the industry
- Most of the ad impressions do not reach a wide base audience
- Insufficient time to keep up with display advertisements
- Maintaining consistency and presence on every channel with regards to brand imagery
What to consider when setting up a display advertisement?
- Advertisement goal
What are some examples of display advertisements?
Here are some examples of great display advertisements from global brands:
All viewers have to do is click on the CTA button and they would send a can of free Coca-Cola to a stranger to make their day better. Even though it took a lot of work and the app had to be integrated with motion graphics, street view, and Google maps, it became successful in no time.
IBM has created its very own learning platform to educate people about technologies like cloud computing, AI, and machine learning. Before launching the platform, IBM took the help of banner ads.
What is the difference between display and native advertising?
- Display advertising
Display advertising uses banners, graphics, and text to promote a product or a service
- Native advertising
Whereas, native advertisements are promoted stories and recommended content displayed to the readers using a native environment.
What are the best platforms for Display Advertising?
- Google AdSense
- Facebook Audience Network Ads
- Apple Advertising
- Yahoo! Network Ads
What are the current trends in display advertising?
- Omni-channel marketing is providing a seamless customer experience across all channels
- Google ALP and AMP projects are helping people to browse 5 times faster
- Marketers are creating post-click landing pages to exchange a customer’s email address or phone number for something, such as an e-book or a whitepaper.
Display advertising can drive traffic and customer engagement. It can also help you reach new potential customers with the information they need. If you have a measurable goal for your marketing campaigns, make sure to develop creative ads, and keep track of key metrics for return on investment. Contact us today to see how we can help you reach your display advertisement goals.