A newsletter is a traditional tool of marketing that gives you a platform to reach a targeted audience. Newsletters have proved to be a very effective marketing tool for companies. It allows them to reach their network that includes their stakeholders, customers and others. They can be used to pass out any upcoming product offerings, news, leadership changes and deals. The content variety is limitless. Starting the process and setting it up from scratch can seem like a very difficult task to do. Let us walk you through the process.
So how do you set up your email newsletter?
- Know your focus – Before creating a content strategy and building your email list, decide what you wish to achieve with this activity. Do you wish to generate more leads, bring in higher traffic on your portal or simply increase your brand awareness. Having clear goals allows you to keep your e-newsletter organized and gives your content creation a path to follow.If you have multiple goals, you can create multiple newsletters and target them to relevant audiences rather than cramming everything into one standard campaign.
- Brew some catchy content – Rather than creating content for the sake of it, focus on the quality of it. Having a short and engaging copy for your newsletter will have better results than a mundane and long email newsletter.You want to catch your reader’s attention and convince them to open and engage with your content. Make sure that the content is easy to read and digest. This is especially important as user attention spans have gone down tremendously.
- Draft a template – Your visual appeal can define the success of how audiences react to your newsletter. While creating your design template, keep it minimal and free from any additional elements that offer no value. As a newsletter is already cluttered with various headlines, copy and multimedia, balance that out with a simple design.Also, make sure that the design and colors align with the brand’s overall visual identity to maintain high brand recall and homogeneity.
- Define a healthy balance between promotional and valuable content – Readers loyally follow brand emails if they offer value to them. If you approach an email newsletter as a mere promotional tool, you are likely to see low rates of success and high rates of ‘unsubscribes’. Rather, offer value and educational content to your readers that’s related to your industry in exchange for the user’s time.Adding a tiny promotional article or graphic will then be taken as a positive action. This can also help establish a mutual relationship of trust between you and your audience.
- Tailored personalization – Readers are prone to open and click through on content that is aimed directly at them. The use of personalization tags through subject lines, salutations and past behavior recall makes them feel heard and more engaged.It also grabs more attention than generic content leading to increased rates of content consumptions and conversion rates. 94% of businesses agree that personalization is “critical to current and future success.
- Use alt text – As you want to pack information in a seamless way to not overwhelm the reader, using alt text on pictures and links can enable you to give short and punchy insights about your content in a quirky manner. It also shows your attention to detail!
- Stay unique – While setting up your content directory, look at what the competition is doing. This will give you an idea of what is stale in the market and what angles might be missing. Capitalize on those gaps to set yourself as an industry influencer. Also try to create content that differs from your other web properties too.
This can create an air of exclusivity around your newsletter which can help boost your popularity. Once you have followed all the steps and set-up your email newsletter, be sure to test it on multiple devices and browsers before sending it to your list. Creating a responsive design can alleviate your results and save you from lost readership because of technical issues.
Creating an engaging newsletter can impact your marketing impacts by leaps and bounds. With your email newsletter set up and ready to go, make sure you reach the relevant audience with relevant content for high success.
Be sure to take timely feedback from users to understand how you you can improve your strategy and design for better results! Do you feel prepared to start your email newsletter?